see jane run 1/2 recap

Great scott!  Sorry for the MEGA disappearing act!  I’ve been trying to tweet once a day but I haven’t had a chance to do any posts since I got left for vacation.  I am currently here in Port Angeles, WA with my family and seriously, I have no idea how it became FRIDAY already!  What the hay?!  I feel like I just flew in the other day but I only have two more days here.  Crazy!

There is so much to report!  But I want to start with the See Jane Run 1/2 marathon.  This past Saturday, my dad, sister and I headed to Seattle (about 2 and half hours away from PA).  We hit up the expo, which wasn’t huge but did have a delish taste-test of Barefoot’s new pink moscato champagne – YUM!  I bought a bright pink sweatshirt and then we headed out to walk around for a bit.  I bought my first pair of Tom’s – red! – (my dad thinks they are hideous!) and we went in search of the start line.  It was tough to find :)

I convinced my dad I needed to carb up and we went to The Old Spaghetti Factory.  We used to go here as a family all the time when I was younger and it brought back great memories!

a little chicken parm and noodles!

Afterward, we drove to a family friend’s to spend the night.  Alex was fostering a kitty, and he has been rehabilitating him for a few days.  The kitty’s name was Manny and the poor guy was in rough shape :(  He had been neglected and then finally dropped off at the shelter when there didn’t seem to be much hope for him.  But Alex took great care of him and Manny warmed up to my sister and I right away!  He had quite the way with the ladies!

Manny broke and stole my heart! The little guy seemed to respond to Heidi and I and he slept at the end of our bed

We got up very early and all headed back downtown to the start line, which was at Gas Works Park.  Okay, remember how excited I was about the cooler temps?!  Wow!  I must have wished pretty hard because it was CHILLY!  A friend from Michigan was in town for a conference and he stopped down to say hello before the race started – it was so fun to see him!  My dad and sister had dropped me off in order to hit up some breakfast and find parking.  The race started at 8 am but due to the volume of runners they started us in waves.  I probably got running around 8:10 am or so and the wave start was much appreciated.

The course was “relatively flat” according to Seattle standards!!  But seriously, it wasn’t as bad as it could be but there were a couple of STEEP hills!  As in tsunami evacuation route steep hills!  I saw my dad and sister around mile 4 and I was sooo happy to see them!  I was getting kind of tired and they totally perked me up!

intense running face
then I saw my “fans” and got really excited!!

After seeing dad and Heidi, I started running pretty quick!  As in 9 min mile quick!  I know!  What was I thinking?!  Haha, I slowed it down a little and kept pushing through.  Then my dad and sister caught up with me again!  Yay!  I think it was around mile 6 or 7 and then again around mile 9.  There were a couple of out and backs and each time I saw my fam cheering for me, I felt rejuvenated.  It was AMAZING!  No one in my family has ever seen me run a race and we all really enjoyed it!

super awesome spectators – dad and sister, Heidi! wahooooooo!


The last out and back were miles 10-12.  This was tough.  I was getting tired and I knew the turn around was somewhere up ahead since women were running toward me but it felt like it took forever to get there.  I was struggling some but didn’t give up.  While I did walk through water stops, I never walked on the course or “breaked” at water stations.  Going into the race, I felt a bit unprepared since I had taken time off during moving so I was nervous.  I was very proud of myself!  Oh!  They had Nuun on the course and I became a believer!  I took one GU in the first half of the race and then only relied on Nuun at stations.


pushing through!

Yes, my sister is a GREAT race photographer!  Haha, I’m sure she is available for bookings :)  I was definitely tired when I crossed the finish line.  I finished in 2:23 and while this not my best time, I am celebrating finishing and finishing strong!

here is the first pic after I finished – haha, yes, I was TIRED!
seriously – why don’t they ALWAYS have champagne at the end of races?!


the hoarder in me wants to keep this sign my dad and sis made forever… but I’m going to settle for a pic instead :)

I really liked this race!  Everyone was so nice, I met some other women while waiting in line for the porta-potties (huge shocker in a women-only race the lines were LONG!) and running in cooler weather was fab!  They had a lot of water/Nuun stations and it was fairly well-marked.  The See Jane Run company has a very inspirational message (they call it their “manifesto” – check it out!) and it was printed on the start/finish line.  I read it right before the horn sounded and it gave me a boost.  We also got a cute tech t-shirt, a recycled grocery bag and the goodies at the end of the race.  I would do it again!

the medal is tiny but the engraved champagne glass is neato so I guess I can be okay with the small bling





8 thoughts on “see jane run 1/2 recap

  1. Congrats on your race, looks like a ton of fun! I wish you could send those cool temperatures this way, I love running in long sleeves. LOVE the champagne at the end.. it should totally be like that at all races!

  2. If they had champagne at the end of all races – I would sign up for all of them. What great motivation – looks like you had a blast – congrats!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s