A special thanks to all of the veterans and their families for their sacrifice and eternal love for our country. No words can truly express my gratitude!
For some reason, I was a huge flake yesterday. I’m not sure if I simply forgot to turn my brain on or if spending to time on my own Friday and Saturday made it so I forgot how to interact with actual people. Whatever it was – it was lame. On the small end of the scale, I told one of my friends how much I loved marshmallows! I was holding a mushroom.
Because I love a good list (as I am sure you can tell) I will detail some of the my lack of adult success… hopefully it will either make you laugh!
1. I spilled coffee on my new rug. The weird thing was, I was holding the cup and kept tilting it and spilling! It was this surreal, slow motion moment where I was practically watching myself spill it. What was wrong with me? I have no idea – thank goodness my carpet is blue.
2. I completely underestimated the amount of time it would take to make some cornbread muffins for the baby shower. It wasn’t so much that I didn’t think about it but I only contemplated the actual COOK time. I forgot about the whole prep thing.
3. I was late for said baby shower. And I was helping to host it. I felt like a heel for this aspect of my adulthood fail.
4. One of my more fantastic mishaps?! Oh, I dropped my iPhone in water – BOO! Here is the thing… this is the first REALLY nice cell phone I have ever purchased. When I got it they asked if I wanted AppleCare and I said I didn’t. I wasn’t going to do anything with this phone except treat it with love and kindness. Hmm… does dropping it in water count as love and kindness? I did buy the AppleCare, however it won’t help with my own stupidity (I think this might be a racket, btw). It is currently chilling in a container of rice. My phone wasn’t completely submerged but half of it was. Of course, I didn’t read how I shouldn’t use it until after I used it! It also wouldn’t turn off all the way so I don’t get that either. OH! And the phone kept facetiming people or calling them. SKYNET!
4.5. Here’s the thing – I have been death to electronics this year! I’ve been through TWO iPods. Luckily, I got the second one from the Apple store for half off but still, that is a chunk of change. The second one was being a bit shifty but then I got busy and forgot about it. I was cleaning out my car when I found this iPod in a bag from a race… with a nasty banana all mushed into it. Nice job, adult. I didn’t have any rice so I put it in quinoa. Sort of smart? No, not at all – the quinoa is so small that there are little bits of it in all of its cracks and crevices. I’ve also managed to kill a computer at work, a printer, my internet connection in my apt, my garmin went kaput and now my phone. And my car… that was unfortunate.
5. Then I got lost on the way to the baby shower and didn’t have my phone to call anyone. I didn’t make it out for a run after the shower either since we had pulled pork sandwiches and running with that in my tummy sounded scary. (<–lame excuse!)
I DID however, take a super quick shower! I know this seems minor but I was kind of impressed with myself. I also went for a run on Saturday evening. It was the best run I’ve had in weeks. I’m not wearing my garmin so I still don’t know my pace (although I did charge it up just in case)! I mapped it out though and I hit a smidgen over 4 miles. Today I am going to try for 4.5? Dopey training starts on June 9th and the first “long run” is 5 miles so no need to push past 5.
In order to make this post a little less whiny, I had a cool idea the other night. A couple of my co-workers and I were chatting and they want to do a half marathon. There is the Grand Rapids 1/2 in October that I told them about and they are on board. I’ve crafted a very clever and entertaining e-mail to my department to invite anyone and everyone to train for it! There is also a 10k and 5k on the books (well, my two favorite races of these distances) in case that sounds more appealing. I have used a few training plans and think it would be fun to help others reach their goals. Weekly long runs, maybe a mid-week run together and working toward a common goal will definitely be motivating for me as well. I’m not sure how many people will take me up on my offer. I’m not a coach but I think it would be fun to pretend!
So there you go! I know – many of these things are not terrible but I was feeling sorry for myself this weekend so when it all piled up I was a mopey gal. Spending time with my friends, running and of course looking at these New Girl gifs made me feel better!
*Edited to add: I was perusing pinterest last night and there was this pin you were supposed to concentrate on to find what was obscure/odd about the picture. Then a really scary guy jumps out at you on the screen. I screamed. A lot. And tried to cover the screen so I couldn’t see it anymore. I KNEW better than to look at this damn picture! Then I was up until about 5 am because I was so freaked out. Good job adult.