Whenever I take a break from blogging, it feels harder to get back into it… It’s like my brain has forgotten how to function in this creative medium. This is my attempt to jump-start my brain!
Yay! for vacations! My original plan was to blog while I was home visiting fam but there simply wasn’t time. I spent every waking moment chatting, laughing, sometimes crying, drinking coffee, laughing some more, eating, being out and about and LIVING. It was wonderful.
Here are a few highlights and things about my family that I love!
1. I really do come from one of the most beautiful places on earth. I forget until I am home for a visit (or I actually think about it) how magnificent the PNW is. Here are a couple of views from the day we went to Hurricane Ridge (local), which is part of the Olympic Mountains. Yes, this IS my back yard.
2. Sometimes I forget how awesome it is that my family is touchy-feely. Please don’t read this wrong – it isn’t anything weird. Rather, when one of my family members walks by they might rub your back or give you a hug or just touch your arm. It’s not every time but it is very comforting. They say personal touch and cuddling has healing powers and I firmly believe this. Babies who aren’t touched from birth have developmental and emotional issues. So seriously, go out and give someone a little squeeze today!
4. A “German moment” can be anything that reminds us of our childhood. Sometimes it’s running late and sometimes it’s making really bad puns. This goes along with #3
5. I got to get to know my brother’s girlfriend so much better on this trip! We talked a lot about men, work and what I am going to do when I go visit them in Paris. Yes, this will include eating a lot of bread and riding a bike. With a basket. And being all sophisticated… or something!
6. My niece and nephew are now adult-ish. It’s so weird! My niece is 19 and my nephew is 17. I spent some major quality time with both of them. They still call me “Auntie Amy” (which I will always insist on!) and they are simply amazing people. Oh yeah, and my nephew gave me a big hug – even in front of his other 17 year old buddies! I must be cool.
7. I discovered a new place! It’s a local beach where the rocks are ROUND! Wait, scratch that – SPHERES! I dubbed them “alien rocks”. Pictures to come!
8. Even though we were running around doing things and hanging out, I had the opportunity to have conversations with my family on an individual basis. I am so grateful for this.
9. When I am home, I am Maggie’s favorite
10. A run – with no humidity?! With a cool breeze?! Constant hills?! Okay, except for the last one, it was perfect! As I’ve mentioned, my dad maps out the HILLIEST routes!
11. My grandma made me kidney bean salad – sooo yummy!
12. My dad found a bunch of old pics and we went through them the last day I was there. They were great! We also told stories about my mom the entire trip. Sometimes this was sad and other times hysterical. Both help though, you know?
Of course, it all passed by too quickly. There are times when I regret moving half way across the country because I feel my heart is split in two. I have friends and family in both areas and when it comes time to leave either it just sucks. We need to invent teleporting NOW!
Simon gave me a lovely homecoming with kitty-hugs and snuggling. My friend’s baby was supposed to arrive while I was gone but he waited for me! After almost missing my last flight to Grand Rapids, MI because I was asleep at the gate, I made it back in one piece and hit the deck running for work. Phew!
Hope you are having a wonderful weekend!