All too often I catch myself thinking of the “failures” in my life. Maybe it was how I didn’t train enough, or didn’t do as well with a work project or haven’t done a load of laundry in about 3 weeks (this is no joke-it’s scary up in this apt!).
So today I am going to write on the items I currently pride myself on. Once again, a list – I think I love these things!
1. I’ve stuck with my gluten-free lifestyle. I could be a bit overly concerned with it, although I’m guessing this is necessary in the beginning of any big change. I de-glutened my cupboards on Sunday and found I tend to hoard food along with items. It was a good lesson for me. Again, I don’t think gluten isn’t going end society as we know it but it doesn’t work for my body.
2. I’ve stayed strong in the face of a PLATTER of delicious cookies, carrot cake with loads of cream cheese frosting and naturally, my favorite brownies with frosting in the cafeteria. Please know, it’s not the sugar I’m worried about. I was having a convo with a co-worker and she said, “well, a little bit of gluten won’t hurt, you probably don’t need to worry about it”. But this is a deep and twisty rabbit hole I’m not willing to jump into.
3. SO MANY RACE EMAILS! Goodness, they just keep coming, “join us!”. And I really want to, honest but I know racing isn’t good for me right now. Heck, running is barely right for me. My stomach doesn’t approve of the jostling – at least in the beginning. I can’t tell if it would calm down after a few miles since I haven’t made it past 1.5. Oh well, I haven’t signed up – I’ve stayed strong.
4. I’ve stayed very focused at work. Every night this past week was a late night in my work world. It wasn’t pleasant and by last night I was exhausted. Nevertheless, I met deadlines, performed well in an important meeting, and accomplished a to-do list that never stopped growing. I’m a firm believer in a healthy work-life balance and I am the guardian of my own time. However, my work days were packed to the gills and work-life balance sometimes must be heavy on the work side of things. Accepting it is just as important. I gotter done real good this week and last.
5. I made turkey pot pie from scratch! It was a TON of work but I am so impressed with myself. The recipe called for a bit too much thyme so just a note to self for next time. Yep, I even crafted my own pie crust – for both this and my pumpkin pie. And just let me say, not only was my pot pie very good but it was beautiful!
6. It was an ugly sickness week. Stomach and hormones combined is a nasty and painful result. Again, I didn’t let it beat me emotionally or physically. Oh I spent some time on my couch but not a one sick day. Progress.
7. I haven’t given into my own personal sugar monster! I’ve indulged – I don’t think abstaining is the right choice for me but I don’t need it.
These are all related and each one took some effort to accomplish. It’s easy for me to push something off until the next day… and then the day after that. Retraining habits man, it’s no easy feat. I appreciate this and am damn proud of myself!